St Albert’s convent and school was officially opened in 1956 with an enrolment of 74 primary and 6 secondary students. The original school building, consisting of two large rooms was built of Mt Gambier stone and is still in use today. The convent accommodated 6 Dominican nuns who came from the Mother House of Cabra at the request of Bishop Gallagher.
The Dominican sisters continued to serve St Albert’s until the end of 1980 when they found it necessary to withdraw their services completely. The Parish appointed their first lay Principal (Mr Arthur Paar) in 1981.
The School keeps pace with the changing needs and educational developments of our community. Our learning environment is continually upgraded with new facilities recently added, catering for our growing numbers.
St Albert’s School is named in honor of the Patron Saint of Scientists, “St Albert the Great”. He was a brilliant natural scientist whose work concerning the earth and our environment is still appreciated by scholars today. St Albert also had a great devotion to his faith and inspired many of his students to find God in the mysteries and wonders of our world.
Our school logo was originally designed by a student in 1998. The cross symbolises our Dominican tradition: The blue water of the River Murray: the gold for the cereal crops grown close by: the grapes and oranges for the vineyards and fruit blocks around Loxton: the sun not only for the sunny days we enjoy in Loxton but also for the love of Jesus watching over us.
Our logo was reviewed in 2017, creating Artwork that now ensures the integrity of our school identity can be successfully maintained across all platforms of communication into the future.